Immediately you find a cockroach crawling up your kitchen wall, the very first thing that pops up on your mind is what will kill this cockroach instantly.
There are many ways that kill roaches quickly. Some are faster than others, but you should know about all of them.
So, What is the fastest way to kill cockroaches?
For killing these pests, roach spray is the fastest & most effective way. But, to make it work, you need to spray it directly on roaches. Let’s learn about other quick ways to eliminate them.
11 Quick Ways to Kill Cockroaches
This is the quickest way to kill a cockroach. There is nothing faster than spraying directly on the cockroach which will kill it instantly.
The uncontrollable urge to just smash a cockroach flat instantly at just the sight of it is uncontrollable. An urge as such is understandable and to just put an end to their infestation by smacking roaches is impractical much. A much easier way of killing roaches is by using sprays.
Roach sprays are used to target the areas where the cockroaches gather like the cracks, window frames, skirting boards and places usually not reachable with bare hands. Roach spray is an aerosol spray that comes in cans or bottles. On spraying, the effect starts within seconds and kills the cockroach that is sprayed on in no more than 5 minutes. Sprays are the most widely used repellents of all for a fast solution.
The basic pesticide used in a roach spray is synthetic pyrethroids. This affects the central nervous system of the cockroach and kills it as quickly as possible.
3 Tried & Tested Roach Spray:
How to use a roach spray
- First, cover your nose with a face mask or tie a handkerchief around your face before you use the roach spray.
- Then, locate the target area and place the nozzle of the can pointing at the area where you want to spray.
- Once the nozzle is pointed towards the affected area of your house, spray it.
- A few pointers to keep in mind while using a roach spray are
- It is important to keep children and pets away when using roach sprays as they emit harmful chemicals.
- These sprays are highly inflammable.
- They do not work in sinkholes or wet areas.
Cockroach Gel Bait
To keep roaches at bay, humans come up with various seemingly effective solutions. Not all of them work a cent percent. We never stop trying though. In this war against roaches, Cockroach Gel Bait is one such hopeful solution.
The effectiveness of this is however not up-to-the-mark. To lure cockroaches into falling for this bait is tricky. The catch here is to entice a cockroach into eating the gel bait. In most cases, cockroaches exhibit a certain kind of aversion towards it. Therefore, infestation continues if they do not consume it.
The bait works very rarely as most of the times, it’s difficult to locate them as they can be scattered all over a place.
3 Best Cockroach Gel Bait:
- Advion Cockroach Gel Bait
- Combat Roach Killing Bait with 8 Bait Stations
- Hot Shot Roach Killing Bait with 6 Bait Stations
How to use gel bait
To use this bait, one needs to follow the following steps:
- Firstly, you must locate the spots you want to target.
- Usually, places with feces of any kind, or leftover food near trash cans in your kitchen or small cracks and crevices in walls and floors are where these critters are found.
- Then, once the spots are located, place small dots of the gel bait.
- The gel bait dries up over time losing its effect. Therefore, keep reapplying it.
If you are looking for a way to disinfect a larger area like a warehouse or an office or an entire apartment, a fogger is your solution. It is an expensive way but an effective one to get rid of a cockroach infestation quickly. With the help of roach foggers, you can also get rid of the baby cockroaches.
Roach Fogger works by transforming the poison into dry fog particles less than 15 microns in size. The fog which consists of the roach killer components can percolate into any openings or crevices where no other product can reach.
It takes up to 6 hours for the infestation to be brought to an end from the time of its use. Dry fogging is usually a professional way to deal with pest problems. If you want to do it yourself, you can buy a thermal fogger machine yourself. The working mechanism is the same.
On using a fogger, the roach poison particles rise up in the air and then gradually settle. While settling, they fall onto small cracks and openings and even on ceilings and walls killing every adult, larva or ovipositor. The effect lasts from 40 to 60 days of its use. It provides the best result, the closest to professional extermination.
In the below, you can look at the best roach foggers in 2020 which you can use to quickly kill cockroaches.
3 Best Cockroach Foggers:
- Hot Shot Fogger With Odor Neutralizer
- Hot Shot HG-20177 No Mess! Fogger
- Raid Concentrated Deep Reach Fogger
How to use the fogger
- It is a toxic pesticide that can cause harm to pets and children and to the one using the fogger. Therefore, before using it, make sure to vacate the place for at least 10 hours and cover your nose with an effective face mask, wear glasses for your eyes and gloves for your hands.
- Cover all the food and drinks at home.
- Make sure the poison does not come in contact with the skin.
- Then, the low power equipment is turned on and sprayed all over the place.
- Once the necessary precaution is taken, use a generator of high-temperature dry fog. Ordinary sprayers are not equipped to create dry fog.
- Use a high-quality poison. And make sure to not use the same poison every time as cockroaches can adapt and develop tolerance too often.
You must be thinking, predators!, What animals do like eating cockroaches?
Well, the list of predators is never-ending. Turns out, a cockroach is a pretty liked delicacy for most animals including mammals, reptiles, amphibians. Animals like hedgehogs are very fond of eating cockroaches. Reptiles like lizards are one of the greatest predators of cockroaches. Be it house lizard or geckos.
Frogs too like to feast on cockroaches. The list also includes turtles and some birds. There are insects that prey on cockroaches. A certain species of spiders eat roaches. Even ants, RIFA which are the invasive red imported fire ants are known to prey on cockroaches.
The Argentine black sugar ants are also predators of cockroaches. Other than these, mites, centipedes and roundworms too feed on cockroaches.
If you want a fairly inexpensive alternative to getting rid of cockroaches and a lesser harmful way of pest control, boric acid is your answer.
Boric Acid is highly poisonous for cockroaches and is the best bait that you can use at home. However, the only drawback of it is, on getting the faintest whiff of Boric Acid, the cockroaches instead of eating it, go as far away from possible from it. That does not kill them. In order to die, they must eat the powder.
Boric Acid: Harris Boric Acid Roach Killing Powder with Lure
How to use Boric Acid
In order to lure them into eating it, first, you will need to eliminate the smell of Boric acid. To achieve that, you need to mix boric acid with raw egg yolk.
- Take 50 mg of Boric acid and mix it well with 1 raw egg yolk.
- After blending it well, it will form into a gruel. Roll the gruel into small balls of 1 cm in diameter and leave these balls to dry.
- Once dried, spread these balls in the targeted territories and let the cockroaches snack on them.
Or you can also leave the powder as it is by sprinkling them all over the desired location like sinks, toilet bowls, places around any water source and around trash bins.
Once the infestation seems to have uprooted, you can wash off the boric acid with a wet rag.
Another natural remedy to kill cockroaches is by leaving a baking soda and sugar mix for cockroaches to feed on. The combination plays a ‘trap to kill’ as sugar attracts the cockroaches and the baking soda kills.
Cockroaches do not have any gastrointestinal mechanism to release gas. On eating baking soda and then drinking water after it creates gas in the roaches and therefore causing the reason for death.
Baking Soda: If you want to buy baking soda, here, you can buy baking soda at a discounted price.
How to use baking soda
- You must mix equal parts of sugar to equal parts of soda and leave it on unusable plates or lids of old containers in places that are not easily reachable like behind wardrobes, under sinks, under refrigerators.
- If possible mix yeast with the mixture and let the roaches get lured to eat it.
- Once they eat the mixture, they go near water sources and die as a result of the explosion of its stomach.
Bleach is an inexpensive repellent. It sure is doubtful to put a complete end to your roach problem, however, you can use it to keep them at bay. Bleach gives off a strong smell that the roaches hate.
Therefore, instead of enticing them to eat, the smell of bleach sends them away. So, you can also use bleach to get rid of roaches from your house.
How to use bleach
- Use an old bottle and attach a small spraying nozzle.
- Make a solution of bleach and water and pour it inside the bottle.
- Shake it well before spraying them on the cockroaches at sight. The cockroaches will be soaked in the mist and die eventually.
However, bleach is a corrosive product. It is therefore not really advisable to use bleach to treat your cockroach problem at home.
Borax is an efficient killer of cockroaches. It is inexpensive and easy to use. The arrangement of the killing of cockroaches with borax is not entirely the best-planned killing as it leaves behind a lot of mess. However, it’s effective enough. It might not be instant but the results are certainly positive.
Borax: Take a look at the current price of borax powder, in case if you want to buy it.
How to use borax
You cannot simply leave borax in the open for the roaches to feed on it.
- Firstly, locate the most known places of gathering. Usually, areas surrounding water sources, or places in your house with easy availability of food.
- Once you have located, dust the area with borax.
- The cockroaches walk over the dusted area and the borax stick to their feet and when they clean their feet off, the borax is eaten by them which causes their death later.
- Sometimes, on feasting upon the dead cockroaches, the feeding cockroaches too die if there remain traces of borax.
If you are one of those who is very cautious about ‘what-goes-inside-their-bodies’, then probably Diatomaceous Earth is the perfect solution to fight the cockroach infestation. Diatomaceous Earth effectively kills cockroaches and eliminates the infestation.
About any pest repellent or disinfection treatment that involves spraying or dusting enter your body while inhaling or through your mouth. Diatomaceous earth is safe around children and pets and is organic. It causes no harm to humans and the effects stay longer than any chemical treatment.
Diatomaceous earth is in the form of rock powder with abrasive and absorbent properties. The roach when comes in contact with it dies as a result of dehydration. The exoskeleton is cut by the abrasive powder and water from the pest’s body is absorbed by it thus killing the pest.
How to use it
- Clean all the potential areas of infestation in your house.
- Dry the areas near water sources or wet regions around the house and keep garbage rid. Diatomaceous Earth does not work on wet areas.
- Seal away any opening that could be housing cockroaches.
- Now lightly dust a thin layer of the Diatomaceous earth in those places. Make sure you do not make it into a heap as then it would only keep the cockroaches away.
- Also, secure around the foundation of the house and keep it dry.
Spraying roaches with soapy water are the classic case of murder by suffocation. Cockroaches too like any other bug breathes through the microtubes on their bodies. On spraying them with soapy water, creates a thin film of soap around them thus blocking the microtubes, which eventually causes their death.
How to use it
- Take a used bottle with a spraying nozzle.
- Mix any detergent with water and shake it well.
- Voila! Your recipe to kill cockroaches at sight is ready.
However, what needs to be understood is that it is only a temporary solution to the cockroach problem. It does not kill the hundreds of cockroaches hiding in concealed areas of your house.
These are for the people who advocate no poison policies to deal with the pest problem. It’s clean and easy. There are basically two kinds of traps; the traps which you put at night and come back in the morning to find cockroaches inside the automatic machine trap and the sticky trap killer.
The sticky trap killer is made of a food-based bait, usually left in places where the clan of cockroaches gathers. It’s easy to use. All you have to do is just leave the sticky trap killer open on the ground and wait till the surface of the trap is filled with cockroaches. It lasts long enough.
Best Cockroach Traps:
What to do if everything fails?
If the roach infestation is severe, then probably, using these methods is not sufficient. In that case, you should take the help of professional cockroach exterminators.
But, how much do they charge?
Actually, it depends on many factors like the level of infestation, area of your house, type of roaches, etc.
However, the best thing you can do is, get free quotes from various roach exterminators. If it comes under your budget, hire an exterminator, if not, then you already know the different ways to kill them.
To get free quotes from qualified exterminators, fill the below-mentioned form.
Cockroaches carry many diseases. It is considered a bane by many. Killing them once does no good until and unless you make the environment hostile for further infestation.
Therefore, to keep your space safe from cockroaches, you must keep it clean and hygienic. Leftover food and leaky water sources are the most favorable conditions for cockroaches to continue their nuisance.